Thursday, March 11, 2010

Well…I Meant it at the Time…

At some time in our lives, everyone has said something that in the end was not followed through. I don’t think any of us, (or at least most of us) were telling a lie. Because at that moment, it seemed the right thing to say, be it that we were trying to cover an awkward or painful experience, make someone feel better, or that we really did think it would happen. Things change and often these statements and semi-promises don’t happen.
Here are some that have been said countless times over by many of us. I think we all meant them, probably more than a little, at the time but….

“Let’s do lunch.”

“You guys would be PERFECT for each other.”

“I’ll call you next week.”

“I’m sure they allow pets, you should get a puppy.”

“I bet you would look cute with” (choose one…or more) “short, red, straight, permed, streaked, punk-rock hair.”

“I mean who can object to a tattoo, especially such a small one?”

“Gym memberships are on sale, I’m going to get one and start working out every day.”

“It’s not you, it’s me.”

“If you don’t like it, you can always return it.”

“We should have an opening coming up soon, we’ll call you.”

“It’s so easy, anyone can do it.”

“I would NEVER do THAT.”

“You want to get WHAT pierced? Make the honor roll this year and we’ll talk again.”

“No, really, it’s fine.”

“We’d like you to be in charge of a special project, you’d be really good at it and it won’t take much time at all.”

“I left the map at home, but I can remember how to get there.”

The list can go on and on and it would be fun to hear from you about any I missed.

What I try to take away from this is that, no one deliberately sets out to tell you a lie, hurt your feelings, or make promises that end up in the black hole of our memory banks, but things change. The best of us forget things, make mistakes, don’t follow through, and do or say things we never thought we would.
That’s life, it is a growth and every day we get another chance at it…
I’m all for that, I am a huge believer in second chances… it is why you won’t get crossed off my list if you don’t follow through but at the same time it is why I am trying to be more careful of the words that come out of my mouth...now.

No comments:

Post a Comment